We are looking for the next Executive Director of the Uptown Shelby Association. The full job posting is below and at this link.
This person will get to lead an organization with over 40 years of implementing the Main Street Approach® in a community that is experiencing increasing growth and investment from the Charlotte area. They will cultivate community partnerships, manage business recruitment & retention, and tell our organization’s story in a way that will bring people to the district, build a sense of community, and strengthen the economic vitality of Uptown Shelby.
About the Opportunity
Uptown Shelby has been a Main Street® community since the national program began in 1980. You will get to lead an organization with over 40 years of implementing the Main Street Approach® in a community that is experiencing increasing growth and investment from the Charlotte area. You’ll cultivate community partnerships, manage business recruitment & retention, and tell our organization’s story in a way that will bring people to the district, build a sense of community, and strengthen the economic vitality of Uptown Shelby.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the organization, including the staff, budget, and work plan
- Support the organization’s Board of Directors
- Coordinate strategic planning for the future of the organization and the Uptown district
- Facilitate business recruitment, retention, and expansion
- Build and strengthen community partnerships
- Oversee events, marketing, and the volunteer program (coordinated by a full time Community Engagement Manager)
- Facilitate historic preservation and appropriate redevelopment
Who You Are
You are highly organized and have no trouble managing the logistics of multiple projects while also managing the board and staff. You work well independently and as part of a team, and bring strong management and leadership skills. You believe in the Uptown Shelby Association’s mission and believe that we can accomplish more together – as a staff and as a community – and you are excited to get partners, board members, and the community on board to help us expand our capacity. You have strong coaching skills to help employees and volunteers be the best they can be. You are willing to work some evenings, nights, and weekends for events and occasional meetings.
You are able to build effective working relationship with a variety of stakeholders who have differing interests and opinions. You are adept at conflict resolution; you stay calm under pressure and handle difficult situations tactfully. You are proficient & confident using a computer, smartphone, and key software/applications, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Facebook, and Instagram. You are willing to learn new skills and are committed to following through on commitments and communication.
Ideally, you have experience working with the Main Street Approach® and within nonprofit organizations.
Who We Are
The Uptown Shelby Association is an award-winning 501(c)(3) nonprofit that began more than 40 years ago as one of the first thirty Main Street® programs in the country. The Main Street Approach® is a national framework for economic development in the context of historic preservation, and we are proud to be an accredited member of Main Street America.
We work to facilitate collaboration & growth, enrich the Uptown experience, and promote the district in order to strengthen the community and enhance the quality of life. Our work includes business development, community partnerships, historic preservation, placemaking, marketing, and events.
There are several exciting projects on the horizon in Uptown Shelby, including:
- a pilot program with international consulting agency Sound Diplomacy on cultivating our music economy & ecosystem
- Business Recruitment & Expansion plan with consultant and Strategic Planning Process with NC Main Street
- 10+ mile rail trail through Uptown to the SC state line
- boutique hotel in Uptown
- nano-brewery opening in November
- renovation of the Rogers Theater, an Art Deco gem named as one of the National Trust's 11 Most Endangered Properties in 2001, into retail space and social lounge
We have strong support from our City and County governments as well as nonprofit and private sector partners. Our Uptown Shelby MSD is home to roughly 245 businesses, institutions, and attractions. More information about our organization is available at UptownShelby.com.
What We Offer
Competitive nonprofit compensation, based on experience, plus a generous benefits package, including:
- Health insurance
- Accrued Paid Time Off
- Retirement contribution
- Mileage reimbursement
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Nine (9) paid holidays throughout the year, plus an office closure Dec 24 – Jan 1
How to Apply
- implementing the Main Street Approach
- business recruitment
- property redevelopment or real estate
- partnership building
- community engagement
- small business development
- personnel management
- budget management
- project management
- committee management
No phone calls, please.
The position is open until filled but please submit a cover letter and resume no later than Friday, November 18, 2022 to ensure consideration. Candidates will be subject to an interview and assessment process.
The Uptown Shelby Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.